My name is Michelle and I am stylist at Bridal Trousseau in New Haven, Connecticut. Over the years, I have worked with many brides helping them find their dream wedding gowns. I would love to offer some advice to help make your bridal appointment a stress-free experience. I know how nervous a bride can be attending their first bridal appointment, but being a stylist I am going to give you some great tips on what to expect and bring with you on your first visit!
- Shoes - A lot of women love having a pair of heels with them, it does not need to be a wedding shoe, you do not have to go out and purchase something new. It could be any pair of heels just to give you an idea of the length of gown.
- Undergarments- Most brides ask what they should bring for undergarments to their first appointment and feel as if they are unprepared. You should wear a strapless bra, or corset so you can get the right feel in the gown. Working in our salon at Bridal Trousseau we have corsets for those who do not bring a strapless bra, we want to make sure everyone gets a right feel in the dress. Also your stylist is most likely going to be dressing you the day of your appointment, so wear an undergarment that you are going to be comfortable in changing in front of someone.
- Bring Pictures! - You should bring a selection of photos you have found of certain styles or designers that have caught your eye. It is very helpful to have some sort of vision in your mind of what you’re looking for and it can help your stylist pull gowns they feel best suit your request.
- Bring along trusted family and friends- You are going to want opinions from the people who mean the most to you. It is great to bring a few with you but sometimes the group can get a little overwhelming and have too many opinions that may upset or confuse you. At the end of the day this is your wedding and all that matter is how you feel in the gown! If you love it that is all that counts!
- Take Pictures- Make sure you have your camera ready to take photos throughout the appointment. It is very helpful to reflect on what you tried on and what you think photographs the best.
- Budget- It is very important to know your budget before booking an appointment at a salon, you want to know you can have a variety of dresses to try on within your price range. The stylist will know what gowns to pull from to stay within your budget so you do not fall in love with something that is over the amount you were looking to spend.
Trying on bridal gowns is going to be one of the best experiences you will have and can also be one of the most difficult choices to make! I hope these tips make the process as easy as possible on your journey to finding your dream gown!
Michelle Carrera, Bridal Trousseau